Skip to content

Who Sucks Today? Weightlifting bars that kill.

October 23, 2009

‘Strongman’ gym boss dies in freak accident when weightlifting bar falls on his face

By DAILY MAIL REPORTER 22nd October 2009

A strongman has died after suffering severe head injuries in a freak weightlifting accident. Tony Leigh, 47, is thought to have been lifting weights on a bench press when a bar slipped and hit him in the face at a gym in Tilbury, Essex. The father-of-two was in intensive care for six days but died last week at Basildon Hospital with his devastated family and friends at his side. Tragic: Gym boss Tony Leigh, pictured with his wife Angie, died after suffering severe head injuries when a weightlifting bar fell on his face Mr Leigh, a former soldier, ran the Flex Appeal gym in Whitstable, Kent, and had also worked as a bodyguard for the Dubai royal family. ‘Everybody is in shock. His family is totally distraught. No one can believe what has happened,’ said friend and colleague Matt Jones. ‘He was a really big-hearted guy. Everyone wanted to be his mate. He was on a level with everyone he spoke to and was interested in people’s training, always offering tips and advice.’ More… Father dead and wife and children fighting for life after ‘arson’ attack on their home Mr Leigh helped train others and competed in strongman competitions, coming second in the South East heat of Britain’s Strongest Man in 2005. He is mentioned in a chapter in Kate Kray’s book Hard B**stards II as Manchester Tony. Fellow Kent strongman Paul Wood said: ‘He was a great bloke and was always good to me. He knew how much I appreciated his help. It was a shock to hear what had happened. ‘I think it was just a tragic accident and one of those one-in-a-million things.’ Mr Leigh, who joined the Army after leaving school, also worked as a bodyguard and in security. He opened Flex Appeal with his wife Angie 10 years ago. The couple had been together for more than 20 years and had two children, son Charlie, 16, and daughter Sam, 12. His wife was too upset to comment on his death. Mr Jones said: ‘You never expect anything as serious as that to happen from an accident in the gym. There is a lot of disbelief at the moment.’ A spokesman for Essex County Council said the coroner had been notified of Mr Leigh’s death but an inquest had not yet been opened. Read more:

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: